Fort Berthold Reservation, 1910

Fort Berthold Reservation 1910

map: Fort Berthold Reservation, 1910 when it was 930,000 acres. In 1954, 192,300 were taken for Lake Sakakawea behind Garrison Dam.

In 1910 the Government sold the northeast corner of Fort Berthold Reservation to white settlers, although the courts later confirmed it was still part of the 930,000-acre reservation. In 1954 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, pursuant to the Pick-Sloan Plan, took 192,300 acres for the reservoir, Lake Sakakawea, behind Garrison Dam, leaving the Three Tribes with 777,700 acres.