Fort Berthold Reservation, 1870

1870 Fort Berthold Reservation

map: Fort Berthold Reservation, 1870, with label about how it gradually shrank to 7.8 million acres, and the Knife River Villages, where the Expedition wintered, no longer belonged to the Mandans.

Fort Berthold Reservation was established in 1870. Though neither Congress nor the Indian people ever agreed to the change, the old reservation shrank to about 7.8 million acres, owned communally by the tribe. The land of the Knife River Villages, where Lewis and Clark had wintered among the Mandan, was no longer theirs.