This was the first structure in the fort to be completed.
Sgt. John Ordway recorded, on December 14, 1805:
continues wet and rainy. we continued on with the huts. 2 men employed Splitting out plank to cover our huts with. we finished raiseing the other line of huts & began covring one room for a meat house.—
Two days later, he wrote that the meat room was now in use.