On November 15, 1805, a break in the weather permitted the party to paddle its canoes around Point Ellice to a sandy beach between the point and Cape Disappointment, where they were to spend the next ten days. Captain Clark concluded:
Sergeant Gass put it in a different light:
At any rate, the Corps remained here for ten days while exploring the coast a little to the north, looking for the white traders that Indians had told them lived thereabouts, and hoping to find a more suitable winter campsite than the exposed location that circumstances had forced them to choose temporarily.
Lewis and Clark named the bay Haley's after the Indians' favorite trader, the beneficent Captain Samuel Hill—the last name having gained a syllable as it passed over Chinookan tongues—of Boston. Hill had anchored in the bay the previous April, and would return within a few weeks after the Corps started home the following March. Today, however, we know the bay by the name Lieutenant William Broughton, exploring the river on George Vancouver's orders in 1792, wrote on his map; Broughton found anchored here a ship commanded by a Captain James Baker.