RSS News


    Return to...
The ExpeditionMarias River
Mountains, Montana & Idaho
A Handsome Situation

One Day from Freedom

n the morning of June 4, 1805, Lewis and Clark set out separately to explore the two puzzling rivers for a day and a half each. Lewis, who chose to follow the "wright hand fork," climbed to "a commanding eminence" some four miles from camp, where he took the bearings of the mountains he could see from there.

To the northeast, an estimated 30 miles distant he was about 10 miles short he identified the "North Mountains," which today are officially the Bears Paw Mountains, but locally are called the Bearpaws.

Could Lewis but have seen into the future, near and far, he would have recognized in that dark shadow on the horizon the symbol of a betrayal that would have caused him great disappointment, shame, and sadness.

Only 108 days later, on September 20, 1805, they were to emerge from the Bitterroot Mountains and meet the Nez Perce Indians the Ne-Mee-Poo, "The People." The Nez Perce had already heard of the Expedition from the Knife River Hidatsas, and welcomed them, fed them, and shared their wisdom and experience. Less than a year after that, in May of 1806, the Corps of Discovery would return to reclaim the horses the Nez Perce had faithfully cared for, and spend a month among those kind, strong, charitable people while waiting for the winter's snow to melt on the ridges of the Bitterroot Range. They would leave strong bonds woven between Nez Perces and Americans, which would last for nearly fifty years.

On September 29, 1877, a part of the Nez Perce nation, 750 men, women, and children who had resisted eviction from homelands they had never sold, and who refused to be confined to a reservation, were to make their last camp on Snake Creek, on the north flank of the Bearpaws.

Those "non-treaty" Nez Perce would have fought their way over 1,500 miles to reach asylum in Canada. They would have by then stood off more than 2,000 U.S. Army soldiers and volunteers in three major battles and more than a dozen small engagements. At 6 a.m. on the 30th, they would be forced into the final battle by U.S. cavalry and infantrymen.

On October 5, White Bird, one of two chiefs remaining alive, would creep northward through the ravines with some of the survivors to join Sitting Bull and his band of Sioux, who were fugitives from their previous year's triumph over Custer on the Little Bighorn. Chief Joseph would surrender all that were left of the non-treaties 87 men, 184 women, and 147 children, who were too cold, sick, and hungry to resist anymore.

They would be only about forty miles from the border. Just forty miles from freedom.

--Joseph Mussulman; 03/1999

Mountains, Montana & Idaho
A Handsome Situation

From Discovering Lewis & Clark ®, http://www.lewis-clark.org © 1998-2014
by The Lewis and Clark Fort Mandan Foundation, Washburn, North Dakota.
Journal excerpts are from The Journals of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, edited by Gary E. Moulton
13 vols. (Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1983-2001)