Clark's Station Camp Map
Although this map is labled "ca. November 16-25" in Moulton (6:52), Clark probably drew it sometime during the winter of 1806 from the field notes he made in November (see Moulton, Atlas, Maps 90-93). For one thing, the almost incessant rain and wind they endured from the time they left Station Camp until the captains moved into their quarters at Fort Clatsop on December 23 would have prevented Clark from preparing such a detailed chart. Moreover, "Point William" (today, Tongue Point) did not acquire that name until November 27 (Moulton, 6:90). His "Point Lewis" is now Smith Point, at the west end of Astoria, Oregon, and slightly east of the mouth of Youngs Bay. "Point Distress" is now Point Ellice, Washington. The distance from Station Camp to Cape Disappointment would actually have been 6.9 miles, not 11; his 7-mile estimate of the distance to Point Adams would have been more accurately 3.8 miles.
–Robert N. Bergantino
From Observations at Station Camp
On November 15, 1805, a break in the weather permitted the party to paddle its canoes around Point Ellice to a sandy beach between the point and Cape Disappointment, where they were to spend the next ten days. Captain Clark concluded:
this I could plainly See would be the extent of our journey by water, as the waves were too high at any Stage for our Canoes to proceed any further down.
Sergeant Gass put it in a different light:
We are now at the end of our voyage, which has been completely accomplished according to the intention of the expedition, the object of which was to discover a passage by the way of the Missouri and Columbia rivers to the Pacific ocean; notwithstanding the difficulties, privations and dangers, which we had to encounter, endure and surmount.
At any rate, the Corps remained here for ten days while exploring the coast a little to the north, looking for the white traders that Indians had told them lived thereabouts, and hoping to find a more suitable winter campsite than the exposed location that circumstances had forced them to choose temporarily.
On two occasions Clark referred to their bivouac as "Station Camp", since he had triangulated its location with reference to prominent landmarks visible from there, making of it a surveyor's "station" (see also "Landmark for Clark").
Lewis and Clark named the bay Haley's after the Indians' favorite trader, the beneficent Captain Samuel Hill—the last name having gained a syllable as it passed over Chinookan tongues—of Boston. Hill had anchored in the bay the previous April, and would return within a few weeks after the Corps started home the following March. Today, however, we know the bay by the name Lieutenant William Broughton, exploring the river on George Vancouver's orders in 1792, wrote on his map; Broughton found anchored here a ship commanded by a Captain James Baker.